The purple team brings a dynamic approach to traditional teamwork with different cultures and the tremendous contributions of individual sets of skills. Also, it utilizes the concepts of both the red and blue teams to make the system more developed and secure by detecting loopholes in the processes and applications. Moreover, the team is an expert in planning an actionable agenda to improve the overall cybersecurity chain of any organization.
Purple Teaming, Defined
Cybersecurity is traditionally about adherence to an attacking team’s combined work and defending teams working in individual segments. The purple team has introduced collaborative teamwork that handles the operation of the Red and Blue teams. This team is designed to test, identify errors, and improve the security status of the whole network.
Purple Team Exercises and Activities
A purple team uses different techniques to indicate the loopholes in the organization’s internal defense system and help to overcome those weaknesses and make the security system more robust.
The activities of purple members are designed to develop the system, processes, and safety rules. They also control the cyber shield to protect the company from social engineering, cyber onfalls, DoS, malware, and password cracking. Here some activities that the purple team executes are mentioned:
· Performing cyber attacks through social engineering and acquiring access to the confidential data
· Launching bugs and malware to break the critical network
· Trying to take advantage of loopholes in the process and applications
· Conducting the process of testing by penetrating the core of the system
· Performing audits in security measures of the entire network
· Nurturing and implementing an effective and comprehensive security agenda
· Performing daily checking of system weaknesses
· Identifying and tucking previous spots of the security network
· Encrypting data while it is in transit and as well as static form
· Prohibiting third party or any unwanted access to the sensitive data of an organization
· Monitoring the process throughout the network to identify malicious activity
· Propagating trespass detecting system in the network
The purple team fundamentally manages the activities of the red and blue teams. The difference between the purple and the other two teams is that professionals with red experience and experts with blue experience work together in a group.
The purple team handles all complications and coordinates the team at a time with the specific work strategy. Here, team members look into specific cyber cases and loopholes to see whether they can detect the system’s flaws. Aside from this, this team accommodates better functions and processes to enable the security channel to be more hefty.
Purple activities include a collaborative, unclouded, and communicative approach to cybersecurity technology. The work style of the purple team is completely different from the traditional approach of the red and blue teams.
We hope that readers find out the purpose of designing the purple team. It is a traditional and collaborative approach that enhances the overall contribution of the red and blue teams. The combined approach of offensive and defensive techniques aims to develop the entire security posture of a company by identifying the flaws and gaps in defenses.